Than a breath away from here.

4 Comments

Heron Heron

Re: Odes for Rhiannon

Intimations

Palpitations at hoofbeats pounding – near or far? –
at the limits of listening,
susurrations of your birds’ singing;
such shifts of awen’s gifts you bring.
Heron Heron

Re: Odes for Rhiannon

A stillness and a quietness of contemplation suddenly illuminated by a flash of brightness,
a familiar shift into vision:

I get a sense of you passing, your horse stepping on
And you wearing not the golden silks of the story
But a leather surcoat that is tangible, its scent and its texture
As I follow, not on horseback but on foot, and you remaining
Just as the story has it, the same distance in front of me
Though I walk and you ride.
                                Then at my call
You turn and smile : like the lifting of a veil it is to me
Before you ride on leaving me the gift of your presence
In the still air that your passing troubled and which now
Contains you and is contained by you in one world
                                 And in the other.
Heron Heron

Re: Odes for Rhiannon

Hearing The Birds of Rhiannon on a Stony Beach

Hold the stone tight in your hand
Hear it sing, the singing stone
Hear her birds singing sweetly
In the high notes; in the low notes
Croaking, cawing. Modulations
High to low :

The stone is hot
The stone is cold
The stone .....

It has a life of its own, leaves your hand
When you have heard what you will hear
Then only questions:

Where is the stone now?
Why does the song fade
Where does the horse ride over the sea?

This now all there is to hear:
Hoofbeats on the waves of the sea,
Gulls calling, gulls calling
No more sweet sounds, no more harsh sounds
Woven together by her birds
But the gulls still calling, still calling
Far out over the empty sea.

So the vision fades, the music segues
To silence, to an echo in the mind,
On the wind, caught in the sound of the waves.

Yet still there’s a presence, sensed by my side,
With me always, never absent, a witness
To visions, singing birds, passing horses
That come and go between the worlds.

She never leaves me, my constant companion.
Heron Heron

Re: Odes for Rhiannon

Rhiannon and Pwyll

At Springtide she came astride a white steed,
Shifted her veil as a bride.
Feasting he sat at her side,
Gifted Gwawl, ill-advised!